Wednesday, March 2, 2016

At the end of my last blog post, I said that I would discuss lighting.

But, as I sat down to write about how I learned how to light. I happened to check My Facebook Page

Several pages popped up in my feed of other dance photographers and their work. I spent a few minutes checking out the work and the work is really beautiful and it is work that I do admire.

As I was looking at the work, my mind began to wander. As I sat there looking at the dancers in the photos, a thought came to mind.

The photographers who've created this work are using professional dancers. Dancers who are well known in their art; dancers who'd you'd recognize in a second.

As I looked at the work, I went back to the work I create and there is one huge, marked difference in my work, versus theirs.

These talented photographers are using top, working professional dancers in their photos. Dancers with major dance companies, working with world class choreographers.

So, what does that say for the work I create.

Quite a bit actually.

Though I do work with professional dancers, 98% of my work is created with dancers who are not professional.

They are students, either in university or college programs, younger dancers who are at local studios, and in some cases, even those who have never had any form of training.

Yes, many of those I work with do go on to become professional dancers, but when I work with them, they are still in school or auditioning to get into a dance program.

What I'm most proud of, is that I feel I am able to create images that rival anything being created by other photographers who are working with professionals.

I'd stack up my work against anything out there.

This isn't a slam of other photographers by stretch of the imagination.

It's that I am proud of this fact.

What I want from my work is for it to have feeling. To elicit some form of emotion in the viewer.

It breaks my heart when I look at work, especially dance, and the photo is technically perfect, but there is no life in either the dancer or photo.

I look at the photos and see that they are technically perfect in every way. Lighting, poses, technique, etc. and the photographer has not done justice to their subject.

For me, the photos just die. They don't move me. They don't make me look at the photo and want to know more about the dancer.

For me, they lack feeling and emotion.

You see, when I work with dancers, at any level, I see and I feel their passion. I feel their excitement and their nervousness about themselves; whether they are good enough, if they have all the tools necessary to pursue their first love.

I see the excitement when they look at the image they just created. Seeing how they really look and it's the most wonderful feeling for them.

I see their confidence grow during the session.

Yet, when I look at other dance photography, it just feels different. The work seems different. It's just technical to me and I'm not inspired.

I love everyone I work with and never stop what I am doing, but there will come a day where I have am able to work with the professional dancers these other photographers work with.

When that time comes, you'll feel the difference in what I am able to create.

You'll see that difference.

I look forward to being able to have that opportunity and I pray it comes soon.
















No comments:

Post a Comment